Saturday, April 2, 2011

Why do women give up?

As soon as I say, "I'm a Lactation Counselor" a women tells me how long she breastfed her babies, what was hard about it, what her doctor told her, what her friends said and so on.

(Me, breastfeeding my squirmy little Finn)
I try to stay positive even if the mother gave up without getting help, and if a mother talks about formula before she knows what I do for a living I try to avoid telling her. I want her to know we are together in the journey of motherhood and I don't want her to feel defensive before we have a chance to connect.

It seems undeniable that mothers want to breastfeed, 75% according to the CDC, but by 6 months less than 14% are exclusively breastfeeding, and only 43% breastfeeding at all.

Why are they giving up so soon?

1. Their own mothers and mother-in-laws did not breastfeed.
2. They have to return to an breastfeeding unfriendly job.
3. It hurts and no one tells them how to fix it.
4. They don't feel comfortable breastfeeding in public because not enough people do it and it doesn't feel normal.
5. Not enough support from friends.

This week a mother-in-law contacted me on behalf of her breastfeeding daughter-in-law. She wanted to purchase an appointment for her daughter-in-law who was struggling. My own mother-in-law did not breastfeed and it was a challenge for her to get used to they way I wanted to do it. Fortunately, she is an amazingly supportive woman, and now gives out my information to women in her area who want breastfeeding help. 

Okay, why do women give up on breastfeeding?

1 comment:

  1. Best for Babes calls the Breastfeeding Booby Traps http://www.bestforbabes.org/breastfeeding-booby-traps/

    ReplyDelete