Saturday, March 19, 2011

Breastfeeding Support

In January, the US Surgeon General announced a call to action to support breastfeeding. The point of the call to action isn't to force people to breastfeed, but to help those (75%) moms who want to breastfeed to be successful at it.

When Micah was born nearly 8 years ago, I had a husband, mother, and sister who all supported my choice to breastfeed. I got mixed messages in the hospital from nurses who contradicted one another in how it was to be done and even criticized when my husband left the hospital for a few hours. When Micah had thrush it took a lactation consultant to diagnose him because the pediatrician and OB didn't recognize it. One woman in particular, my Pastor's wife, was determined to help me. She checked the baby's tongue, latch and continued to encourage me. I'm not in touch with her today, but I am thankful for her support.

When the other babies were born no problem was going to hold me back. Breastfeeding Micah sold me on breastfeeding forever...so maybe Micah was really my greatest breastfeeding encourager!

So, the questions is who supported you and how? Maybe, who didn't support you and how did that affected your achieving your breastfeeding goals?

2 comments:

  1. For more information about the Surgeon General's Call to Action visit: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/breastfeeding/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written, thank you for bringing breastfeeding help to St. Augustine and St. John's County.

    ReplyDelete