Saturday, March 26, 2011

Public Breastfeeding

The best predictor of whether or not a woman will breastfeeding is whether or not she has seen another mother breastfeeding her baby.

This means you have great power to influence women around you to try breastfeeding.

Finn just happens to be hungry when I drop the kids off at school. I find a spot on the rug every day and nurse him. Sometimes children ask me what I'm doing and I usually say, "Finn is hungry. He is drinking milk from my body. My body knows how to make milk for him."

More than one child has said in response, "Is he drinking from your shirt?" This goes to show how discrete I can be. No breast showing.  Then I say something like, "No, he is drinking from my breast." More often then not the next question is, "Can I see?"

Now when a new child suddenly becomes curious other children will pipe up and say, "Finn is drinking nursey from her body!" I am so proud to have indoctrinated a whole class of children.

Federal law says that women are allowed to breastfeed on any federal property, for example the post office. One friend suggested we go in pairs and nurse our babies at lunch time at the post office. She cleverly added that we could call it a "Tit In". Ha!

Where are some of the places you have publicly breastfed?

Here are some photos to inspire you.





1 comment:

  1. The twins are adorable ... but I can't imagine two at one time!

    I breast feed in public all the time, but with a nursing cover. I feel more comfortable covered up because I don't want people gawking ... and people already are looking because my baby is so cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete